Do you have questions about your SECA?

Members contact us to seek clarification around a number of contract issues such as the meaning of certain provisions, what you are eligible to apply for and what your entitlements are. Sometimes you want to know what steps you can take to help enforce these entitlements other times you want to know what the responsibility of the College is regarding its adherence to a provision(s) in a certain situation. We suggest you take the time to become familiar with your SECA (Single Employer Collective Agreement) (reading these FAQs is a helpful start!) so that you have a basic understanding of your terms and conditions of employment.

Remember that your SECA is a minimum rate document. In other words, its provisions form a ‘safety net’ below which you cannot fall. After reading the below information (in addition to the full text of the relevant provision(s) in your SECA) should you have further queries or comments please do not hesitate to get in touch with us at the NZRDA office at and we will endeavour to assist you.


Where do I find the relevant sick leave provisions in my SECA?
Clause 11.4 (page 11 of your SECA)

How much sick leave am I entitled to?
You are entitled to paid leave of up to 15 days (pro rata for part-time employees).

What rate am I paid at when I am on sick leave?
You are entitled to paid leave of up to 15 days (pro rata for part-time employees).

Can I take sick leave for an unwell child/household member?
You can apply for leave on pay which is deducted from your sick leave to stay at home and care for an unwell spouse/partner or a person who is dependent on you (e.g. your child).

Do I need to provide a medical certificate if I take sick leave?
You may be required to provide a medical certificate or other evidence of illness to the RNZCGP. If you are sick/injured for less than three days and you are asked for proof then the RNZCGP must cover the cost of getting the proof e.g. visit to the doctor.

Get in touch with NZRDA

If you have any questions or general enquiries, get in touch with us using the contact details below or the form on this page.

Membership queries:
General & contract queries:

Freephone: 0800 803 993