NZRDA Delegates Dr. Rosa Tobin Stickings and Dr. Jordan Gibbs on the increased workload in emergency departments.
The NZRDA ED Rosters Campaign
The DHBs acknowledged during MECA bargaining 2021 that there was evidence of demand pressures on Emergency Departments across New Zealand, “with potential delays in care and treatment of patients and increased workload intensity for ED staff.”
As part of settlement of the MECA, the DHBs and RDA committed to reviewing the RMO staffing and rostering in every ED prior to 1 July 2022 relative to patterns of patient presentations/demand.
The purpose of the reviews is to establish whether rostering improvements can better:
1. Match staffing to patterns of patient demand;
2. Maintain appropriate work-life balance commitments and training opportunities;
3. Ensure appropriate numbers of RMOs working in Eds.
As part of the first stage of the review we have requested all DHBs provide:
1. Current RMO FTE on ED runs;
2. RMO FTE on ED runs five years ago broken down by HO/Reg.
3. Patient volumes in ED by month, last five years.
4. Patient presentations for a month broken down by time (0800 to 1600/1600 to 0000/0000-0800).
The NZRDA ED rosters survey
In October and November 2021 we conducted a survey of NZRDA members who had worked on an ED roster in the last 12 months. Responses from the survey are below.